Tofu scramble is originally a vegan recipe. Tofu or bean curd is made from soya milk that undergoes both curdling and cooling process to form solid blocks of tofu. Just like making processed cheese out of fresh milk. It is an excellent source of protein particularly to vegetarians and vegans or to those people who doesn’t consume meat.
It doesn’t taste like scrambled eggs, if that’s what you are thinking. It tastes very different from the usual scrambled eggs but you’ll get used to it later on. And if you’re looking for a cheaper alternative source of protein, then this is the answer. By adding different spices and mixing it up with varied ingredients you could create a flavorful breakfast. I made a recipe that will satisfy the picky taste buds of the Filipinos. So, try it and stay healthy.
Pinoy-Style Tofu Scramble
YIELD: 4-5 servings
EQUIPMENTS: large pan, spatula, chopping board, & knife
PREPARATION TIME: 5 minutes
COOKING TIME: 10 minutes
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions or spring onion
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 cup corn kernels
- ½ cup diced, red bell pepper
- 1 cup sliced mushroom
- 16 oz or one pack crumbled firm tofu
- 1 tsp.turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp. ketchup
- 1½ tsp. cayenne pepper
- Salt or pepper, to taste
- 2 cups cabbage or Chinese cabbage (pechay)
- In a large pan, saute the onions in olive oil.
- Then add garlic and corn kernels into the pan.
- Put the bell pepper and cook for a few minutes.
- Add tofu to the pan and toss to combine.
- Add turmeric, ketchup, cayenne, and season with salt and pepper.
- Stir until the spices are fully distributed.
- Afterward, add the Chinese cabbage to the pan and until half-cooked.
- Serve it with bread or potato wedges.
You can also use this recipe as a filling to your Home-made Tortilla. A healthy burrito stuffed with tofu scramble. Just browse the recipe from the Snacks menu.