Leftovers? No worries. Make a burrito by preparing your home-made tortillas and making use of the excess food from yesterday’s meal. Tortilla is a thin, flatbread made up of flour or corn meal which is typically served with savoury fillings or salad.
Here’s a simple tortilla recipe that you can make ahead of time and store it in a freezer. Just heat up the pan and begin toasting a tortilla dough or cutting it to bite sizes and bake a batch of tortilla chips for snacks. It’s a terrific snack to those who are health conscious and fitness addicts. Stuff your tortilla with an ample amount of salad and your dressing of choice. And Walla! You got a refreshing and healthy meal in no time.
Easy Homemade Tortillas
EQUIPMENTS: bowl, spatula, sifter, measuring cups & spoons, rolling pin or drinking glass, small towel, non-stick pan / frying pan & a flat surface (for kneading the dough).
YIELD: 8 tortillas
PREPARATION TIME: 15 minutes
COOKING TIME: 15 minutes.
- 2 cups flour & additional flour for kneading
- 1-1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 ysp.salt
- 3/4 cup milk / water
- 3 tbsp olive oil or any cooking oil
- In a bowl, mix dry ingredients: flour, baking powder and salt.
- Pour milk/water and oil into the dry mixture. (You can add more flour & water, if desired.)
- Put flour on a flat surface and start kneading the dough for approximately 2 minutes. Then, roll it into ball of dough.
- Place the dough in a bowl & cover it with a towel. Set aside & wait for 10 minutes.
- Divide the dough to small portions & roll it to form small balls.
- On a floured flat surface, flatten the dough using a rolling pin or a cylindrical drinking glass & finish the rest of the dough.
7.Heat the pan and cook the dough over medium heat for 1 minute until lightly browned and flip it up to cook the other side accordingly to your preference.
8. When the tortillas are ready, you can make a burrito or shawarma out of it. Just topped with appetizing salad and drizzle with your dressing of choice.
I’ll include the palatable recipes of Tofu Scramble and Grilled Rosemary Pork chops in my next feature. So, stay updated, like and follow my blogs @ C’est la vie Princesse.