Getting bored of the usual apple pie with tough crust and no crunch? Are you aiming for a crusty Apple pie? Then, try my apple pie with a soft biscuit-like crust with a kick of cinnamon in every bite.
My Apple Pie Surprise is no different from the common apple pies. However, the crust is made of a soft crunchy crust that compliments with teas. I accidentally made it while altering the ingredients at home. Anyway, my mom loved it and she asked for another serving right after finishing her first slice. I would like to share my recipe and to spread the happiness to everyone. I made my mom happy with just a simple serving of my home-made pie and I wish that you could do the same with your families as well.
Share the love and spread the happiness.
Apple Pie Surprise
YIELD: 1 large pie
EQUIPMENTS: oven, mixer, bowls, rubber spatula, sifter, measuring spoon & cups, pie pans, pastry brush, knife & cling wrap
PREPARATION TIME: 45 minutes
COOKING TIME: 1 hour
- 3 cups All-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 3/4 cup cooking oil
- 1 egg, beaten
- 8 tbsp. ice water
- 1 cup flour (additional)*
- 1 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 8 cups peeled & sliced apples (8 pieces)
- 1 1/2 tsp. lemon juice
- 1/4 cup margarine
- 1/2 cup flour
- Pre-heat the oven to 450°F (230°c).
- Crust: In a mixing bowl, combine the sifted flour, baking powder, egg and oil. Mix until crumbly. Add ice water and stir the dough to form a ball. Wrap and chill the dough for 15 minutes.
- Divide the dough in 2 portions. Roll out one piece to 12 inches in diameter. Afterwards, roll the other piece until 9 inches in diameter and place it in a greased and floured (9 inches) pie pan, then trimming the edges of the dough with a sharp knife. Chill the prepared dough for 15 minutes.
- Filling: In another bowl, mix the sugar, cinnamon, and toss the apples. Pour the mixture into the pie pan, then drizzle with lemon juice and put slices of margarine over the top. Put the chilled 12 inch dough to cover the top, using a fork or by pinching the edges with fingers. Cut few slits on the top to release the steam in the cooking process.
- Bake for 15 minutes then reduce the oven temperature to 350°F (180°) and bake for 45 minutes more until done.
- Top it with vanilla ice cream or pair it with coffee or tea, if desired.
Tada!!! A finish product of my APPLE PIE SURPRISE. Enjoy and share it with the entire family or a group of friends.
For more recipes, please wait for various mouth-watering meals, cakes and goodies with C’est la Princesse.
(SPECIAL THANKS: To my beloved mother, Mrs. Teresita O. Rocillon. Thank you for complimenting my homemade desserts and main course dishes. )